Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Blog Post 21 – Mike Goes to Lusaka

I have decided to split up this post into 2. Originally it was going to be “Mike's Long Weekend”, but since my experience in Lusaka was so different than Lochinvar, we now have 2 blog posts. Anyway, enough rambling, on with the heart stopping excitement of Mike's African Life.
I think I have discussed mini-buses before, so just to recap there is a driver and a conductor. The driver drives and honks the horn, and the conductor yells out the window “Lusaka, Lusaka” and knocks on the door frame when someone wants to 'drop'. He also collects the money and bargains for the fares. I was boarding in Monze, so I found a half-full bus going to Lusaka, arranged the fare and sat down. I insisted that I wouldn't pay until we actually left (good business when there is no driver yet and the bus is only half full) and about 40 minutes later we did leave. Chilled with my IPOD and 'dropped' in Kafue about 3 hours later.

Met my friend Deg and stayed at his place that night. His host family is really nice, though Deg's 'brother' talks way too much. I am now an expert in the cotton industry and the industry of selling blankets imported from Botswana. Next morning we got up and went to check out the fairly new Kasaka roadside market. We arrived around 10:00 and observed that even though it was market day, and about 80 people had built stalls in the first few weeks, there was exactly 1 person selling. A bit disappointed, I am sure to tell the market committee in Pemba, which is arranging a similar market, that there could be problems in the near future for them too.
Kasaka roadside market is very empty

Then we went to Lusaka for the Agriculture Show. This was impressive, even by Canadian standards. There were so many booths, arenas with horses, motocross, and bands, and tons of agricultural displays. Even light engineering and metal work companies were there, with proper welders, torches and valves. I was disappointed to see that the combines were made in China and only assembled in Zambia, but still it is better than being build and assembled in China I suppose. I got to talk to people interested in Uranium mining and had sent a research team to TRIUMF in Vancouver to learn about radiation. There were displays with mining and gems. Zamshoe, Zambeef, Zamchick and Zamfeed were all there. I was even able to find seeds for basil, chives and parsley which I bought for Morroson who loves to experiment. It was a very impressive show.

Checking out the massive combine harvesters


On the way back I came very close to being pickpocketed. As I was boarding a bus back to town, and was walking up the stairs, I felt some guy's hand in my pocket. Luckily of all the pockets he could reach for, he choose the one with nothing in it. Close call! Next day I visited Lusaka again in the morning, and then went back to Monze for part 2... Lochinvar!

No comments:

Post a Comment