Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blog Post 23 – As tu Paiele

“As tu Paiele, Mike.” Ok, so if it was meal time, I would expect to hear this. “Let us pray” usually comes before we eat, not at 9:30 on a Saturday morning. “As tu Paiele ku Church.” Ahh, now I get it, she is asking me if I will come with her to church. Knowing my limited Tonga, and her even more limited English, it was a clever way of putting it, that's for sure. So I raced to my room, put on my nice pants and choose the blue dress shirt, black shoes and a pair of clean socks (it was a wonder that all these were clean enough to wear to church) and we started off.

Conversation on the way was limited to “So this church, it is at Pemba Secondary?” I asked. Something between “Eeee” and “ahhh” was the reply. I assumed correctly that this was yes. We arrived late (I think), because there was already biblical discussion going on, though others arrived after us, so I didn't feel too bad. It was a small group of about 10, and I had met the leader previously, as well as one of the other men in the group. He was also alternating between English and Tonga, which was nice for me, and I was even able to contribute to the discussion. We were debating how you tell if someone is a false teacher, and is not spreading the true message of Christ. Half of the people had textbooks that they were working from, and one person lent me his so I could follow along. At the end, they rang a bell, and the leader looked at me: “Brother can you pray?” “As tu paiele...” I began.

After, the other discussion groups, of all different ages came together into one room and we did some songs and prayers. The message was fun to watch, the speaker (pastor?) got really into it, and there was a translator who was mimicking his actions, and I wished I had brought a camera (though even if I had, I probably would have been scared to use it). After there was some time for fellowship and then we went back home. Not having been to many churches in my life, I am very unqualified to comment, but I think I like the SDA, they have a good system of open discussions, and it was a very easy environment for me to go into. Now I just need to get myself a Tonga hymn book, and I'm ready to go.

Going to church did make me think of a number of other religiously related things. Like are these imported, missionary religions helping Zambians? Sure the Mission schools are nice, but it seems to be playing havoc on the minds of many villagers, especially with the already strong traditional influence. There's a strange mix of God, Satan, and Witchcraft that seem to underly many stories and beliefs.

And what about the attendance? Why is there such a high religious following here, much higher than Canada from what I can tell. Do people here need the Church to give them comfort? Are the churches here more fun so people go for the fellowship and singing? Is it because they have nothing better to do on a Saturday or Sunday? Well I can't offer any answers, but they are fun questions to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Hey neat that you're being accepted as part of the community now :D I'll gives my guess about your questions. I think that going to church (or any type of regular traditional gathering) gives people a sense of community and belongingness, especially when times are tough. It's interesting that they have conversations there. Perhaps it's more central to the community, like a forum compared to somewhere like canada.

    ReplyDelete