Friday, July 31, 2009

Blog Post 20 – What is Mike Actually Doing?

So I hope we have another chapter phone call coming up, as the first was a ton of fun, and there were tons of great questions and stuff. But no one really asked what I am actually doing here, and I don't think I've ever written about it, so here goes my attempt at accountability to my donors :)

Office work:
I can't lie, IDE is remarkably understaffed and I spend a lot of time putting out fires. Like today Willard was in Monze and I was in the office so I explained about and sold 4 treadle pumps, helped a new co-operative type up their constitution and in between managed to spend time typing up a proposal for our new workshop. I have been helping with our monthly report, and budgeting and timetabling for next month. We are hoping to run a large workshop focusing on business planning, marketing issues and record-keeping for farmers in early August, so this is a big focus for me: planning, proposals and arranging for this to happen. When farmers meet nearby for market committee meetings, I have been helping them and reporting to Willard what is going on.

Fertilizer Training at a Demo Plot
Field work:
Sometimes I am able to go to the field by myself. We have 3 nearby areas within 5km that I can easily ride my bike to, so I like to go to these farms and see how they are doing. In addition they all have demo plots which are good ways for IDE to show farmers the proper way to grow vegetables. I can offer the farmers help with growing techniques and spacing (sometimes), and more often help with farm planning and business and record-keeping type stuff. A good portion of the farmers are able to speak English so its not a big problem communicating.

Sometimes I go to the field with Willard. This is usually when we give treadle pump manufacturers or buyers tours of the area. Then we hold small training workshops to groups of farmers. Normally these are conducted in Tonga so I have to find a translator if I want to get anything that is going on.

I think this man likes treadle pumps!

A couple times I have been able to run my own workshops. One was unexpected, Willard was busy in a meeting so he sent his nephew to get me and a pump and take me to the meeting. I showed up and demoed the pump and then answered questions about IDE and treadle pumps until Willard showed up just in time to add closing remarks to the meeting. A second was a gong show because I thought I was talking to experienced farmers and helping them elect a new board, while none of them knew what IDE is. The third was a workshop I designed on credit and loans and this one went sweet. All the farmers drew pictures of their gardens and determined how much each crop was worth. Then they budget each crop's profit to be used for things like clothes and food and school, and this helped them see what they could afford to take out as a loan and still be able to repay. All of these workshops definitely need translators, or else about 90% of the farmers would have no idea what was going on. But attendance is usually good, I think because they like the idea of a Makua presenting.

Community work:
I have been trying to spend some time helping out in the community. Recently I've been working with the computer teacher at Pemba High and teaching a class of students about computers during their extra time. Not many of the students know much about computers, but I feel like we are getting somewhere, and the fact that they are coming even though it is exam season is pretty encouraging. Even the staff want some C++ lessons as soon as exams are over so that's pretty exciting.

Capacity Building:
So the official terms of reference said I should be doing some capacity building stuff. I definitely agree that most of the things I mentioned don't have much to do with Capacity Building of the IDE Field Staff, but I think it depends on how you view it. Given Willard and I are working together most of the time, we are constantly working together to develop new ideas on how to improve the marketing situation in Pemba. Our new scheme is to have farmers grow maize and beans now (as opposed to during the rains) since the prices are about twice the usual and the local markets are huge. We are working on getting local agro-dealers to stock treadle pumps and sprayers. And for the first time we have been offered credit for our farmers. I feel like his innovative streak and initiative are considerably higher than they were when I first came, and I like to think that I have had something to do with it.

All in all, a massive thank you to everyone who has supported me thus far, and I just wanted to let you know what I am up to, and will continue working on, for my last couple weeks here in Zambia

Full steam ahead,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment