Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blog Post 5 Divide and conquer (May 20)


IDE Head Office - this is a scaffold that is used to test the treadle pumps at all different heights and flows and stuff.



First a quick shout out to all the blog commenters – you have far exceeded my expectations, so keep it up and make me look like I have tons more friends than any other JF this summer. I promise in the future there will be sweet pics and insightful stories to comment about, but for now the comments are really awesome!

Tonight should be my last night with other mazungus for a little while. Probably means no more beer for a month or so too. I had a good chat with my coach, and finished training at IDE. Then we all went for Indian Food, said goodbyes to all the OVS. Tonight was also my first encounter with diarrhea in Africa, so, yeah, that. I heard all the West Africa JFs had it within a day of hitting the tarmac, so I guess I'm doing OK.

Training at IDE was pretty awesome. The first day we discussed what market facilitation is. Essentially its the idea that with a very 'light touch' a market facilitator can connect buyers and sellers, and then step back and let stuff happen. About lunch time I discovered I stayed in the sun way too long the day before, and had heatstroke. This meant I spent my first afternoon at work trying my best not to vomit during the session, or fall asleep in front of the country director. At least I didn't vomit.

Today we had some cool discussions about how market facilitation is actually achieved. This means we discussed possible markets for farmers, and how effective each one could be. We had a neat framework for assessing buyers in terms of risk, needs, demand, and other factors that could affect the relationship. All in all I learned a ton, and I'm super stoked to put it in practise.

Tomorrow its off to Pemba, the land of debatable internet access. It will be interesting to see how close my expectations compare to reality. I have a mental picture of some dusty huts at the side of a dirt highway, surrounding a well and maybe a school. In reality, I think the only part I have right is the highway's existence, and I'm pretty sure its paved. Hmm, could be a good opportunity for some pictures – I apologize I haven't felt very confident yet in the photo department, so I will definitely have to step that one up a notch.

Anyway, my only real reason for writing this is in case I don't have internet for a while, so I shall stop rambling and get some sleep...

...Mike

(p.s. The next morning diarreah still there, and its really not a lot of fun. Should make for an interesting travelling day)

3 comments:

  1. Yikes Mike! Take some pepto bismol or some immodium! Stay healthy. I haven't been hit by anything yet except for that cold, which hasn't gone away - I guess we are even?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike its great to hear that you're learning lots already! Hopefully you're diarrhea clears up soon, make sure you take care of yourself and were brainstorming here at the retreat how we can best serve and use JFs for awesomeness! Sending the EWB love from all of the presidents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike, best of luck in Pemba! Can't wait to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete